Light painting is a photography technique that involves light source manipulation and time lapse settings. It is typically done by professional photographers, at night on streets or inside darkrooms. But amateurs can do it, too! Here’s how in 6 quick steps.
How to Create a Light Painting
- Set your camera on a tripod.
- Set your exposure to a long value, and stop down the aperture as much as you need.
- If you are inside, turn off the lights.
- Once the shutter is open, use a flashlight as brush, illuminating areas you want to paint.
- Once the shutter closes, inspect your image and make edits as necessary.
Slow movements will produce more light, while faster ones will create refined details. Enjoy!
Light Painting Inspiration
Need more inspiration before you give light painting a shot yourself? These four light painters will surely do the trick. Each has their own distinctive style and aesthetic.